Baby Kitty Lilly is a Lenny, a common mistake, because sexting young kittens can be tricky

1. Estelle says:

I have been living with my Bengal girl kitten, Cleopatra for 8 weeks. She was 9 weeks old when she came home with us and I had my heart set on a girl, and thought I’d gone home with the only girl in the litter, according to the breeder. I paid a lot of money for her and she had a lot of problems when we first got her (ear mites, dihorreah, worms, then a few weeks later, conjunctivitis). My vet has seen her countless times and not said anything otherwise (he even took her temperature- anally) and my partner and I have only just started having our suspicions that she’s a boy because of her increasingly growing ball sack! Which I just presumed was her girl parts! I’m gutted and can’t get used to changing the name, and saying ‘he’ and ‘good boy’. It doesn’t sound right! Obviously we love her/him very much but I’m just a bit gutted to be honest! Her bedroom is full of girl things. The nearest name we have thought of to Cleo is Leo, or Leonidas in full. Our little girl has gone from Egyptian Queen to Greek King. :/

Estelle: I can relate to that because Lilly had to become a Lenny. I think the name change is so hard, and my heart goes out to you. When they are really young, it’s hard to tell if they are a boy or girl, but your vet should have been able to tell if kitty is a boy or girl. Regardless, Bengals are full of energy and will provide you and your partner with endless entertainment. As kitties don’t really care about a he or she (unless mating) I wouldn’t worry about a room full of girl things. The switch from Cleo to Leo would probably be easy. It took awhile to get used to saying Lenny, but it was relatively easy to get used to. You’ll have to share some photos of your new Greek King.

• Estelle says:

Thanks so much for your kind reply, I am starting to get my head around it now but still slipping up a lot saying she instead of he, I think it might take a while! I couldn’t work out how to post photos but would love to share some x

2. I do consider all the concepts you have presented in your post.

They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very brief for novices. Could you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Thanks for your response. The problem with blogging or writing for any periodical today is that most people don’t like to read long posts, especially blogs. But thank you for your comment, because Paws takes all comments seriously, and looks to constantly improve posts.

3. Andrea Dorn says:

I’ve not been wrong yet (knock on wood) but then I sometimes withhold my determination if I’m not sure. The way I describe “things” is to say that the male is a colon (:) and the female is an upside down exclamation point (!) That usually helps but you’re right, it is difficult with a very young kitten.

The most recent litters I had were born to feral moms so I wasn’t able to touch them until their eyes were open. Even so I figured out the sex of all but one of them just by intuition. That one was a red tabby so I guessed that it was a “he” but “she” fooled me 🙂

Enjoy Lenny now that you know more about him!

4. Lenny’s a cutie, even if he’s a boy!

5. good info. Lenny is a keeper, just as Lilly was. what a sweetie.

6. The animal shelter actually called my Lily a Lenny. When I adopted Dahlia, I was told “he” was a 12-week-old male, and “his” name was Blackie (a woefully uncreative name for a black cat, I might add).

I believed them, until Dahlia showed me her butt about two days later and I said, “Hey! That’s an innie, not an outie!”

Dahlia is a much more distinguished name! Maybe the innie, outie could be the best description on how to know if it’s a girl or boy. I’ll have to remember that one.

7. Good info and it’s easy to make a error even with some adults.

You know, I remember people trying to figure out if the kitty was a girl or boy even when I was a kid. Guess it hasn’t gotten all that much easier.