Euthanasia: is it right or wrong? It’s ok to put our pets out of their misery, but for humans, it’s a different story

1. Bonnie says:

I work at a Vet clinic & help clients go throu this diffcult choice of treatment or saying goodbye. As one Vet here said : God gave us to be caretakers of the animals, so we decide whats best for them. But we belong to God, so he decides for us. All I can think of is people like your Mother must be touching somebodys’ life, or maybe you are the inspiration for someone else going throu the same ordeal. Watching the love & care you still give her , even thou she may not remember, you are still there……….

2. Kathleen Cronin says:

My heart goes out to you and all you have to endure. As a retired nurse I have watched and helped families struggle with these desitions and there are no easy answers. I also like to believe that people with AD don’t realize they are sick or a burden and even if they do they’ll forget it anyway.

3. Diana Gregory says:

A question, and issue, I have thought of for many years, especially when my dad had cancer. With him, it would have been a no-brainer decision to let him go – he was completely doped up on morphine for the last 4-5 weeks until he died between doses. For someone like your mom, it is harder to know the answer. I, too, hope that I never become a burden. And will continue to be kinder to my cats than I can to my human friends and relatives. I actually am on one friend’s medical POA because she felt I would be more willing to make the call to pull the plug than any of her family, if it got to that.

Diana

4. askfisher says:

It is very hard for humans to not fear death. It is sad see loved ones going through such pain when their death is inevitable. That includes our pets. A lot of love goes into letting go.

5. Louise behiel says:

Great post. My mom too has AD. And lately it’s getting much worse. She has aggressive outbursts and now is having delusions. Tragic to watch her disintegrate like this. Tragic. She is depressed and anxious all the time. Is that any quality of life?

6. Sally Bahner says:

I am such a control freak that I would end my life if I was diagnosed with terminal cancer or Alzheimer’s — while I am still of sound mind. I just would not put anyone through the burden of caring for me under those circumstances.
    I would want to be cremated with the ashes for all my kitties mixed with mine.

Sally: I would tend to agree. Your comment makes me think about the book “Still Alice”. She got a pill to end her life, but waited till the right time. With Alzheimer’s, she forgot where she put it. Very sad.

7. Sparkle says:

I am so sorry for what you and your mom are having to go through. I think maybe kitties do have it better than humans in this regard…

8. Kat Gagliano says:

I am very sorry your mother has been suffering with this disease so many years. My own grandmother lasted for 10 years with this horrible disease. My father now 87 fears it, but so far only a bit of senility for him. I was raised Christian and in the bible the people in a typical family were treated with respect, made comfortable as best they could, even given crude treatments to try to heal, and in the end, buried with dignity. They didn’t have the means to treat people even close to what we have today, but I suspect they would be like we are today, caring for them until it is time to leave this earth. Animals were used for work and food, possibly some pets way back then, I don’t think anyone knows for sure. I think the cultures over the centuries did euthanize a sick or injured animal. That is my theory of why it is believed to be ok to euthanize animals. I am sure there are as many other opinions to this as there are people in the world, but that is my 2 cents. Having lost several pets over the years I have to say it is one of the hardest things to do. To loose your pet to an illness or disease and have to give them that final nudge to release them leaves a hollow – it was the right thing to do, it was time to let go. I prayed each one would go in their sleep but sadly no. So lastly I hope you have some comfort in this sad time of life and later have the memories warm your soul.