Static Electricity in cat’s fur easily charged

1. My one and a half year old has a bad habit of carpet scratching and is full of static ahhhh. The new place I am moving into does not have any carpet though so she will have to learn how to use her Cat tree. I will probably get a humidifier as well as it appears very dry there.

• BJ Bangs says:

It will help if you put the cat tree(s) someplace she likes to hang out – like right at the corner of the sofa or a favorite lounging chair. No carpeting should help cut down on the static, but won’t eliminate it. A humidifier will help.

2. Abbi Dixon says:

My cat has long fur, and her paws spark on the bed as she walks at night. I get shocked a lot, so it seems to bother me more tho.

3. Alex M says:

Wow, great, article. I’m surprised I knew what to do, I realized that my cat an I , were getting shocked as I touched his fur. I had no idea what to do but water seemed like the best option. So I basically wet my hand and pet along his back. Which he seemed to take rather well since he hates water. His hair has also been standing up lately but in more of a puffy kind a way which did seemed a bit weird since he Grooms himself on a regular basis. Thanks again for the article, it was very informative.

4. Ashley says:

Great to know! My cat and I have a bedtime ritual where he demands to be loved. Normally I don’t mind, but he’s so staticy it feels like I’m petting wet pop rocks. One night he went to touch my nose with his and we both got zapped, I swear that night I saw a flash of blue when it happened.

5. I am genuinely thankful to the owner of this website who has
    shared this wonderful post at here.

6. Sarahbell says:

I had a beautiful short haired cat that was all white. As long as I didn’t *start* petting her on an exposed part of skin (nose, ears) she didn’t mind the static electricity. At night, when she curled up to sleep next to me, there would be a soft glow where my hand stroked her. It was enchanting really. It made her look unearthly as she laid there, purring steadily with a small wave of light moving over her.

What a beautiful story. I’ve heard about the glow effect from static electricity. Sounds like your sweet cat definitely had that glow around her.

7. BJ says:

Try a humidifier in the room where you pet her. Let me start looking for any other options to help.

8. LoveMyBaby says:

I have a female short-haired kitten that just turned 1 year old. 😉 I have never had a problem with her mother, a long-haired calico who recently turned 14 and had an only child litter with the neighbor year old tomcat. I only seem to get static with the baby.
    The funny thing is, I live in Florida and have just a throw rugs. Even my furniture has no textiles (sadly) …
    We just play. Could there be another explanation? Maybe excitement?

Let me look into this further. It cold be the baby’s fur has less moisture. You may want to try a small humidifier, even in Florida. The scatter rugs could also be an issue, but it doesn’t sound like that should just affect one cat. Let me know if the humidifier works. A small vaporizer would be ok.

9. Peri Bhaskar Murty says:

Hi,
    Ijustnread the article. I thought I will share an interesting experience with all of you.
    I have a dog ( a Spitz ). He has been hand fed by my wife from the time he was a little pup and thatbis how he eats even after 15 years. Anyway, my wife is traveling and I was looking after Casper. Last night, when I was feeding him his staple diet of Indian flat bread and boiled potatos ( yes taht is right! My dog is almost a vegetarian). Suddenly I got a shock on my hands. It happened only once and there after it did not happen again. Since this had occurred for the first time in 15 years, I tried to find an explanation though I knew it had been caused by Static Electricity. Once again thanks for the article.

10. annette breen says:

My long hair cat seems to be getting zapped my the carpet. We are renting a new place, and all of a sudden he just takes of.

11. Kathleen says:

Living in FL we dom’t have so much of a static problem, but when we do it’s alway’s a surprise to Scooter. He looks so funny trying to find what just zapped him. Growing up in ME we all just accepted it, even the kitties.

12. Sparkle says:

Yep, no dryer sheets for us kitties! As a cat, I like the humidifier idea best – way better than damp-pawed humans!

13. Very interesting article! One of my cats is very prone to static electricity. I’ve always wondered why she gets more staticy than my other cats, but I guess it’s because she has drier fur. Anyway, at night when we’re in bed, I can sometimes pet her and see the sparks of static electricity as my hand runs down her back. It looks cool, but I know it must be uncomfortable for her. Thank you for sharing the tips on how to get ride of the static. I’ll have to try them out!