15 cat facts Paws learned at a cat show & still time to enter #Hills Give-Away
Here are 15 cat facts, and interesting tidbits that Paws’ mom learned at a cat show.
1) To be a point, an Oriental must have blue eyes.
2) An Egyptian Mau can be black, or smoky colored, in addition to the more common Silver Egyptian Mau.
3) Orientals can be black, but the black ones won’t have blue eyes.
4) Bengals and Savannah’s are still considered controversial because they ‘originally were a cross breed with a wild cat’.
5) There are two basic Bengal patterns: spotted/rosetted, and marble, with many variations of each pattern.
6) Show cats are first divided by length of hair – long hair and short hair.
7) The judges book contains the entry numbers, breeds, categories, divisions, colors/patterns, age of the cat on the day of the show, classification (kitten, adult, alter, etc.) and the sex of each cat to be judged.
8) The color of the markers on top of the kennels in the show ring determine the category. The C stands for color and D notates the division.
9) Cats are never grey. They are considered blue.
10) It’s not a negative for a cat to be big and solid, but a bulging tummy won’t win any prizes.
11) A top show cat’s owner can spend upwards to $100,000 a year to win Best Cat in their Division in the Country.
12) Cat people will stop at no length to get the cat they’ve fallen for. One cat show contestant had her 2 Orientals, one white and one black, brought to New York from Latvia (and indeed they were beauties). By the way, they flew with the passengers, not in cargo.
13) If a calico’s black is not solid black, they are excluded from the calico division.
15) Other cats, love being shown so much, they put on a show, entertaining the judge and audience as well.
These 15 fun facts came from The International Cat Show (TICA) judges and others attending the annual NauTICAts show in Augusta, Maine. Every time Paws’ mom attends a cat show, she finds out just how much more there is to learn about cats. Do you go to cat shows? What’s the most interesting or fun fact you’ve learned about cats at a show? Please share your thoughts and comments.
There’s still time to sign up for our give-away with a deadline of this coming Friday. Sign up to win Hill’s® Prescription Diet® Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution for free. Paws is giving away 10 Hill’s® Prescription Diet® Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution trial kits with your veterinarian’s authorization. It ’s a $70 value!
Each Feline Metabolic Starter Kit will include:
- 1 Weight Loss Success Tote Bag
- 1 Weight Loss Success Guide
- 1 4lb bag of Metabolic dry cat food
- 2 (5.5oz) Metabolic cans
- 1 (2.5oz) Metabolic treats
- (2) $25 coupon
To enter this giveaway, please leave a comment and tell us about your pet who can benefit from Hill’s® Prescription Diet® Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution. Be sure to include all of the required information below:
- What is your pet: dog or cat
- Pet’s age
- Pet’s current weight or close guess
- Your name
- Your email address
Just like us, before starting a weight loss program a doctor should be consulted.
Your veterinarian’s authorization is required before starting Hill’s® Prescription Diet® Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution food.
This giveaway is limited to one winner per household and is for U.S. residents only.
Be sure to use a valid email when leaving your comment so we can contact if you are chosen as a winner. Entries for the give-away will be accepted through midnight on Friday, April 4. To enter fill out the form below with all the necessary information outlined above.
Do you have any overweight cats? Have you tried ways to make your kitty lose weight, or have you just given in, and told yourself, there’s not much we can do to help kitty shed a few pounds? What do you think about the epidemic of overweight cats and dogs? Do you suppose the problem is as rampant overseas as in America? Please share your thoughts and your stories.