Can feral cats co-exist of even happily live with humans?

1. Sharon S. says:

Anne and Paul are truly wonderful human being. There aren’t many people (or groups) willing to house feral cats because they are not adoptable. I trapped 3 kittens several years ago but was lucky enough for them to become part of my family. I currently feed a feral adult cat. She comes to eat every evening and spends the night, but bolts if I try to talk to her. Nice story.

2. Sue Skipton says:

Thank you Kathleen, lots of shelters and rescues for the friendlies up here. I do take them in to help with spay/neuter and out to homes but my favorite are the fraidys and ferals. So much love there and each step they take is just sooooo rewarding. They are amazing creatures. Working with a semi feral from SPCA right now. Her name is Snow White, I believe she was born feral but got picked up. She was pregnant and she had her kittens and they were handled and all gone out to homes. She was a young mother and never learned play time. She is adjusting well, still afraid of strangers but she now plays with toys and is being accustomed to be patted.

3. Kathleen says:

Interesting article. Unfortunately most shelters don’t have the time required for ferals and people like Sue are few.

4. Dr. Jackie Penny says:

In my home I have a young feral girl who decided living inside was preferable. She won’t let me handle her, she let’s me pet her, but she’s always in the room I’m in. If I come home late she complains with the rest of the klan.

She just walked in one day when I went out to feed the ferals. She ran back out when I went to close the door, but for several days she repeated this examination. Then one day I held the door for her to run back out, but she stayed. I know she’s “my cat” in her own way, but she doesn’t want a cat/human relationship with me, she just wants to be around her own.

I respect feral cats and see them as wildlife. With my body language I show them I am no threat, just another creature getting by on this planet. Most of my ferals are comfortable around me, even happy when it’s spring/summer and I’m out in the yard.

5. Erin says:

Hi, I too have adopted feral cats that I was feeding. It took some time and patience but they not only trust me, you can’t distinguish them from a domestic cat. They sleep with me, follow me around like puppies, sit on my lap, play with me, talk to me, etc. They are just like any other cat with me. It took me on average 2-4 months of outdoor feeding and coaxing them but before long they would follow me up and down the street. I looked like the Pied Piper for awhile. From there it was just more small steps to being able to handle them and get them into the house for ‘re-education’. 🙂 I have been able to get many of them spayed/neutered and rehomed. So I disagree with these folks that say ferals cannot be tamed. I think that comes from people that either can’t or don’t want to put in the time and patience it takes.

6. Sue Skipton says:

Hi there, I work with ferals and fraidy cats here and I can tell you that feral cats can indeed live with a human that they trust and learn to trust that human. I have nine ferals that live with me in my house. They respect me and I am their servant. Some of them learn to trust me to the point that they actually come around as a pet, some are just aloof but live quite comfortably here. They don’t run and hide from me, they just keep their distance, they are curious about what I do around them.