Wordless Wednesday: Siamese Linus and Paws enjoy lazy days of summer.

Here, my Siamese Linus, and Paws enjoy some supervised time in the backyard. They just love the fresh air, sunshine and new noises. I only
let them outside when I am going to be around to make sure they don’t wander and get into trouble. For the most part, they stay put, only wandering around the house and to the flower garden.

At Paws for Reflection, we do not advocate free roaming cats. These kitties only go out when their human is around, doing yard work, making sure they are out of harm’s way. When it’s time to go in for the night, their human round them up, even if that means searching them out sunning themselves on a rock, and hand carrying them into the house.

Do you let your cats outside? For the most part, mine hang out on the deck. If they hear something they don’t like, they run for the deck, knowing they’ll be safe there. On Friday, Paws will feature a great alternative for cats – cat enclosures. They can be made in all shapes and sizes, attached to the house or free standing. Come back and check it out.

Do your cats enjoy soaking up the summer sunshine? Do you have supervised time, a fenced yard, or enclosure where you can make sure they are safe? Please share your stories.

Siamese Linus enjoys supervised time in the backyard.

Summer Fun. Siamese Linus enjoys supervised time in the backyard.

Cats wonder: what's in this brush pile?

Cats wonder: what’s in this brush pile?

Kitty Paws soaks up the sunshine.

Kitty Paws soaks up the sunshine.

Cats hang out in the backyard.

Cats hang out in the backyard.

Backyard Flowers gives kitties places to hide, and new experiences.

Blue Bell flowers provide smells for cats not found inside.

Blue Bell flowers provide smells for cats not found inside.

Big and beautiful peonies.

Big and beautiful peonies.

Lovely weigelias in bloom

Lovely weigelias in bloom

Wintergreen gives the garden some green.

Wintergreen gives the garden some green.

Yellow-Losestrife

Yellow-Losestrife

Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop

Category: Cats

About the Author

14 Responses to Cats enjoy lazy summer day in supervised time in backyard

1. SlimKitty says:

It’s nice if the can safely get outside and get some fresh air. Beautiful cats…and flowers.

2. Kathleen says:

You’re so lucky they stay nearby. Mine run away but maybe it’s because he knows he’s not supposed to be out. My first cat loved to go out with a leash but my Scooter is afraid of the leash. When in FL I have sgreened patios but here in ME he is stuck inside. We have to be sure he doesn’t run out. He likes sitting in the windows.

3. Sparkle says:

My human says she does not trust us outside! Plus, in neighborhoods not far from here, my human heard of coyotes actually snatching pets right in front of their humans! So we are stuck inside.

• BJ Bangs says:

Good idea. Stay safe. We have an isolated backyard that’s pretty safe. Just a few roaming dogs that we now have finally gotten under control so they stay home.

4. Looks like they are having a great time! I don’t let my gang outside either, but I do have a couple of leashes and harness to take them out on. Only one of them likes it though. They others are scaredy cats and just want to go right back inside. MOL! Thanks for stopping by our blog!

• BJ Bangs says:

I’m pretty isolated, and the kitties seem to stay pretty much in the backyard, so it works here. However, I have 2 that are inside all the time.

5. Ruth says:

I would LOVE to do this, however, am afraid that once I allow the kitties out, especially the youngest of the group (a male) I will forever be watching every time I go outside, for any reason. What I would love is a cat enclosure on my deck, I would have to pick them up, and put them in it, I don’t see how I could “connect” it to the sliding door, if I am to go out on the deck too.I do open up the door to our deck on nice days, and leave it open all day/evening, but there is a screen door that is the barrier to the outside. I love for all three of them to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the outside!

• BJ Bangs says:

I use treats as bribery when I’m going out, and it’s not time for supervised time outside. It usually works, but sometimes I’m running after one of them and taking him back inside. I never let Paws out with that long hair till he became sick. Then, I figured he might as well enjoy being a cat, and letting him go outside was one way of giving him a little bit more quality of life.

6. Beautiful pictures, the kids look like they are really enjoying their time outside 🙂

• BJ Bangs says:

They love running through the grass. It’s so nice to see them get some fresh air, but only supervised. There’s too many scarey things out there, even in a backyard, not to be there, to protect them.

7. Amy says:

I’m not a cat owner, but as a bird lover I also disapprove of free-roaming cats. Usually I advocate keeping kitties indoors, but sounds like you have found a way to let your cats get outside safely in your own yard. Enclosures make sense, especially if the owner will take the time to supervise like you do. PS> pretty flowers!!

Catpersonable BJ Bangs

At Paws for Reflection, we're serious about cats, writing about cat health, cat rescue and cat news. We delve into why cats are the absolute best soul mates. We spring in a little humor with lots of travel tips, photos and a few feline tales, making Paws for Reflection a must stop for cat information on the cat crazed Internet. BJ is an award-winning blogger/journalist, communications professional and photographer.

2017 Winn Feline Foundation Media Appreciation Award