Hurricane Irma’s Cat Heroes work before the storm hits Florida

BJ Bangs is an award-winning journalist, photographer, and communication profession who is an aspiring author. She loves everything about cats, including visiting cool cat events and writing about them.

1. BJ Bangs says:

I’m curious to see how Officer Garcia’s cats fared and how the ferals along Miami are doing. I did see the Hemingway cats and caretakers came through the storm well, and the museum didn’t sustain damage.

2. Funny you mention the Hemingway House I just read they made it through OK * Phew *

We still have a lot to learn don’t we about rescues and compassion.

Happy late Sunday Selfie.

Marjorie and the Dash Kitten Crew

3. This is a great post. We have been really worried about all the animals caught up in the hurricane (and the humans too of course).

4. ATCAD says:

We were very happy to see a Facebook post that the Hemingway House and it’s cats and caretakers survived Hurricane Irma.

Word has finally come in from Key West that staff and kitties weathered the storm at Hemingway House, and the home itself didn’t receive any major structural damage. That was a relief to hear!

6. mochasmysteriesandmeows says:

This is all so tragic. I’m just worried sick for everyone in Florida, but I must admit especially for the 4-legged victims 🙁

7. Yael Ben-Ari says:

I did not know some of this and cried half way through the post. Praying for the best for our furry friends.and freaks.
    Yael from PlayingInCatnip.com

• BJ Bangs says:

It really makes us think what would we do? And even though I’m not in a hurricane prone area, we all need to be prepared.So glad to see the per-evacuation efforts before the storm. We’ve come a long ways!8 Got to admit I had a lot of teary eyes over the past week.

8. speedyrabbit says:

I saw these stories yesterday too,we hope everyone will be safe and ok,xx Speedy

9. Elise says:

I hope they will all be okay. I don’t think I could ever live in a place prone to get hurricanes of that magnitude passing through. It takes a strength I don’t think I have to rebuild after hurricanes like Harvey and Irma.

10. What a lovely, and thought provoking and apt post to make. I read Officer Garcia’s story yesterday and was very impressed with her actions, displaying a quality that better demonstrates how I would want humanity to be thought of. No doubt there are and will be many more such wonderful true accounts of selfless acts, and I think we should applaud and praise and encourage them all this Sunday and in weeks to come.
    Purrs