Why use a disposable litter box? As the world focuses on becoming more eco-friendly to address climate change, we need to think about environmentally friendly options for our cats, too.
That’s why Paws was delighted to have an opportunity to review the Emerging Green Disposable Litter Box.
We had never used a disposable litter box before, and frankly, were not very familiar with them. We were curious as to what a litter box made out of recycled paper would even look like, say anything about how well it would perform.
Paws News for Cat Lovers received this product for free in exchange for an honest review. Although the product was free, all opinions in this review remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the company.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We are also a participant in other affiliate link programs and the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Disposable cat boxes may not be for everyone, or for every situation. But they certainly can have some advantages over regular litter boxes, and in some cases, they can work to augment the boxes your cats already have.
Unlike the standard litter boxes which are made of clay or silica gel, the disposable ones are mostly paper-based, biodegradable and good for landfills. Paper also can control odors quite well.
This material is safe for landfills because it is disposable and biodegradable shortly. Paper is also breathable and provides a comfortable feeling for your cats. Plus, it can control odors quite well. However, the paper may not hold liquid for a long period of time despite being coated with wax or other waterproof materials.
How long do disposable litter boxes last?
It depends on the size, the material, and the number of cats sharing the litter boxes.
On average for one cat use, a box can last for around three or four weeks. To lengthen the lifespan of the box, you can scoop the litter out more frequently and check for possible breaks or scratches.
When to use the disposable litter box?
Disposable litter boxes can be helpful for busy pet owners who do not have time to scoop out the waste frequently. The box will help control odors without scooping as frequently as with a regular litter box. While it says you can use the box up to four weeks, Paws would not suggest doing this. Scooping at least once a week will keep the box acceptable for your cat.
- In the house: Disposable litter boxes can be used as a standalone cat litter box. It only needs cat litter. The litter box can be simply throw away if it is broken or dirty.
- Inside a standard litter box: You can also place a disposable litter box in a standard litter box. It offers extra protection and odor control. It is especially useful if you have an older cat or a young kitten. Using a disposable litter box as a base helps to keep the litter dry and to extend the durability. You keep the standard litter box also scratch-free.
- Second or back-up litter box: A second litter box is always easy. Most people have a standard litter box in the house, but a disposable litter box as a second or backup can be very handy. If you have a cat who is sick or uncomfortable when sharing the litter box with other pets at home, you can use a disposable litter box. Get it dirty quickly, or if it starts to smell bad, you can throw it away immediately.
Cats are pretty finicky when it comes to their litter boxes, and do you blame them? Who wants to use a dirty bathroom?
Why use a disposable litter box when traveling?
A disposable litter box is easy to carry if you are going to travel or if the cat is temporarily staying somewhere else.
Made of recycled paper or cardboard, disposable litter boxes are lightweight and portable, allowing you to bring one or two pieces of the box in your luggage. Then, you can simply throw the dirty ones away before returning home.
Emerging Green’s Disposable Litter Box
Now let’s take a look at the specifics of the Emerging Green Disposable Litter Box.
|Size||16.4 x 12.5 inch|
|Target Species||Cat, Rabbit|
In their product literature, Emerging Green cites the following benefits.
- CONVENIENCE – Makes your life easy. Simply replace the disposable litter box when necessary
- ECO FRIENDLY – This litter tray is made from agricultural plant material and it’s compostable
- EFFECTIVE – The dropping pan is able to reduce odor and serve as a litter box liner
- VALUE – This pack of 5 high-quality paper litter box can last you for more than a month
- DURABLE – The cat litter box does not leak, tear or shred
|The product sells on Amazon for||$29.80 for five, coming to $5.96 / box.|
Check out our link below.
- Just fill the box
- Low sides, ideal for senior cats or kittens
- Not recyclable
- Need to be replaced every month or so
- Not very attractive
- It may take some time for the cat to adjust to the new box
Check out some of our other product reviews.
- Must-have gifts for yor cat-obsessed friends
- Petmate toys ideal gifts for cats year-round
- Okaysou’s Air Purifer is great for cat owners
- Smart Cat Litter is the best
- Royal Canin taste test proves my cats love chicken
- Zen Clipper clips tip of cat’s claws, not the quick
- Pet Remedy calmed my cats when going to the vet
- Let’s Talk About Cats (a book review)
- Celebrating Cats All Year-Long (a book review)
Have you ever used a disposable litter box? What did you think of it? To keep abreast of the latest cat news, sign up for our email list and receive your FREE Guide to Stop Kitty from Destroying Your Sofa.