- This event has passed.
National Craft for Your Local Shelter Day July 21
July 21, 2021
National Craft for Your Local Shelter Day is July 21.
Started by Sew Doggy Style back in 2012, National Craft for Your Local Shelter Day is perfect for those who like DIY projects while helping their local animal shelter. Most shelters have limited funds, and they sooo appreciate these crafts to keep the cats from getting bored.
If you want to involve the neighbors and the local community you could even write “letters” to the animals at the shelter and deliver these to the shelter staff! They can put these up on the kennels as another way to promote the animals looking for forever homes!
Don’t for a minute think you need to be crafty either. This project is all about enriching the animals with blankets and mats for their space or helping the shelter spruce them up for potential adopters.
There are lots of DIY pet crafts ideas with instructions on Pinterest and encourage you to check them out.
We found these suggestions on how to get involved on Seatle’s Atlantic Veterinary Hospital’s website, and we wanted to share them with you.
How to get involved with Craft for your Local Shelter Day
- Before you start dreaming up craft ideas, contact the shelter you’re considering donating to and confirm that they will receive your donation.
- Ask them what items they most need.
- Make a list of the materials for your project. If you need fabric, for example, ask friends and neighbors if they’d be willing to donate remnants.
- Organize a craft night with your friends and neighbors. Set up stations and mass-produce the items, assembly-line style.
- When you’re ready to donate your finished items, call your shelter and arrange for a time to bring in the items. Ask if you can take a picture of one of the dogs or cats wearing the item, so you can share it on social media.
For a complete list of 2021 cat-related holidays check out our Complete List of 2021 Pet (Mostly Cat) Holidays.
Have you made DIY toys, blankets, or other things for your local shelter. If so, share your ideas, photos, and/or links so our readers get some DIY projects to help shelter pets. Also sign up for our email address to receive your FREE Complimentary
Guide to Stop Kitty from Destroying Your Sofa.